7 golden rules to follow for your SEO
The ambition of this article is to present concisely the 7 best SEO practices to integrate into your SEO strategy.
1 – Understand SEO vocabulary
Essential terms to know:
- Backlink : Inbound link to my site. You need to set up an outbound and inbound link strategy, ie a netlinking strategy to increase your relevance to search engines like Google. Indeed, these links indicate your “reputation” and act as a true vector of relevance on your theme.
- Tag : piece of code that automatically triggers a command.
- Meta title : title of the page that will appear in the tab of this one.
- Cache : where files are temporarily stored for easy access, it’s like a “photo of site. ” On a search engine, a photo of your site is taken regularly by Google. You can ask to have access to the last “photo” of your site in order to be able to analyze it and put in place corrective actions.
- Duplicate content : Duplicate content. Duplicate content is to be banned. Those detected by Google are penalized.
- Google Panda : Filter the Google algorithm that ranks sites based on the quality of their content. If you accumulate too much bad quality content, you will be subject to location penalties and your site will lose places in the rankings.
- Google Penguin : part of Google’s algorithm that represses sites that use over-optimization techniques. Example: receive 3000 incoming links in one day. These links were not made in a natural way, they were premeditated. It is essential to favor the arrival of links in a natural way.
- Google Venice : section of the algorithm that serves, among other things, to display a Google Maps next to your site in the search engine results.
- Long Trainee : A collection of keyword phrases that people are not looking for but accumulate is a major source of traffic. (eg Amazon’s long drag).
- SERP : Search Engine Result Page, which indicates search engine results pages.
- Sitemap : plan of your website. It’s a good thing to provide Google with a sitemap to make it easier for Google robots and users to navigate if your site has many pages. You will then facilitate your SEO and your positioning.
- Sitewide : plan of all the external links of your site (outgoing links). We focus here on the number of links to a single site and not the number of links to several pages of a single site.
- 301/302/404 : pages 301 and 302 are redirections (respectively permanent and temporary). Page 404 indicates that an error has occurred. To identify technical errors use the Google Search Console tool.
2 – Build a relevant keyword list
To optimize your site’s ranking in search results and gain visibility: start by listing the keywords that are relevant to your business. Ask yourself the following question: what keywords would my client be able to use to search for my products / services? Use powerful tools to generate your keywords: Google Keyword Planner, Ubersuggest, Google Related Search.
This is done in 2 steps:
- Define relevant key keywords
- Set the keywords that make up your long line
- Do not hesitate to opt for jargon: example “machine à carte bleue” (instead of “terminal de paiement électronique”) if c is the most typed expression in the search bar.
3 – Have quality content and appropriate to your field of activity
One goal: become the Wikipedia of your business. You must produce a lot of content on your site. This is the sinéquanone condition to be well referenced naturally in Google’s SERP. Your keywords must be embedded in the content you publish.
4 – Increase your popularity
The popularity of your site is measured in part by the number of popular sites that link to you. It is then a question of setting up a strategy of backlinks. To receive links from well-ranked sites, multiply the “gateways” to your site. To do this, several methods are available to you:
- Join a directory
- Have a blog (also meets rule # 3)
- Ask your suppliers and customers
- From your profiles on social networks
Implementing an inbound strategy has many benefits:
- Make your content available to your visitors close to the one you offer
- Acquire more users on your site
- Affirm your presence and credibility in the business
- Increase your popularity
As previously explained, you must ensure that the links come to you in a natural way. The rate of link creation should be increasing and regular, for example, start with one link per day.
Rich content actively participates in increasing the number of inbound links:
- The white paper
- The contest
- The case study
- The debate article
- The quiz
5 – Structuring your site logically
The content on your website is the first showcase of your brand. It helps to justify the credibility of your skills. By becoming your own media you build a qualified audience and increase your conversion rate.
Your content strategy must take into account the setting up of a coherent, logically architected site. SEOs often use the silos strategy.
Each silo has a main expression. A silo has multiple levels of pages. The goal is to make links that communicate between levels of a single silo. For example, consider a Tahitian dance class site:
- Silo 1, main expression: “Tahitian dance hall class”
- Silo 2, main expression: “online Tahitian dance course”
- Silo 3, main expression: “Tahitian dance rates”
- Silo 4, main expression: “Tahitian dance techniques”
- Silo 5, main expression: “Tahitian dance accessories”
Each silo is composed of several vertical levels, for example for Silo 1:
- Level 1 page, main keyword, “Tahitian dance class”
- Level 2 page, main keyword, “Tahitian dance class at the Grands Boulevards”
- Level 3 page, main keyword, “Tahitian dance schedule at the Grands Boulevards”
- Level 4 page, main keyword, “Tahitian dance schedule at the Grand Boulevards for adults”
The bottom line is that each sub-level page makes a link to the page above it. This means that the level 4 page must link to the level 3 page, which itself links to the level 2 page, and so on.
6 – Having a technically flawless site
Your site must be up to date:
- Pages must load and display quickly.
- The site must be responsive and secure https.
- The faster the pages on your site load, the more they will be viewed and the more your site will progress in search results..
- Optimize every detail.
When Google’s bots browse the pages of your site they should not encounter any technical difficulty to index them. You thus enter a virtuous circle. A page crawled regularly by a bot is a page often indexed. A page that is often indexed is a page that is seen more often, so a page seen more often becomes a page on which traffic increases.
7 – Follow the latest SEO trends
Be aware of the latest rules put in place by Google so you can integrate them in time.
To follow SEO news:
- Rand Fishkin – Moz.com
- Seo.fr / Blog
Sources: seo. en