New issues of ISD confronted with digital autonomy
In terms of the development and performance of the company, ISD plays an essential role. However, the various departments of the organization are now more and more autonomous and therefore, don’t need to call upon the ISD, as for implementing solutions and collaborative tools, like it did before. Given these circumstances, what role should the ISD adopt? How should the latter position itself?
- 78 % tools are in the cloud and are set up without warning the ISD,
- 62 % of users appreciate speeding up the implementation of tools in the cloud,
- 72 % of IT decision makers approve used tools without their permission.
The “Shadow IT” phenomenon
Shadow IT otherwise known as “Rogue IT” refers to the implementation of information systems, within an organization without the approval of the ISD. It also happens that the ISD isn’t even aware of these applications. As a consequence, the ISD provides no support for these systems.
Why do business teams organize themselves without the approval of the IT department or the IT team? Shadow IT enables agility and speeds up the implementation of IT systems, and this flexibility quickly meets the requirements of business users.
The course of innovation at the cost of handling buying and security costs.
Marketing managers, for example, shall use solutions offered by software publishers or the latest products offered by startups, who wish to gain the market share, quickly. In order to avoid slowing down sales, the ISD approval stage is very often avoided. Leaving the IT team in front of a done deal.
The ISD is compartmentalized within a support role and is gradually losing its decision-making role. Which is far from being a good thing for the organization, even if this phenomenon is encouraged by the management, in some cases. We must continue monitoring investments and especially take the issues of reliability and security of information and data into account.
The IT department no longer has the choice of implementing IT tools within the organization. How can the ISD find a place that is conducive to highlighting its added value with the business teams?
How does ISD find its spot within team professions?
- Position oneself to support the business strategy.
- Contribute to innovation and not come in the way.
- Take action hand in hand with business teams as a partner and not as a controller.
- Support the marketing department in adapting with the market changes.
- Have very fine business skills within the IT team in order to better understand the user paths of computer software. The IT team needs business skills, to better comprehend the end-user issues,
- Preserve a central position.
- Focus attention and effort on applications, which pass on confidential business information. Simple applications that are meant to increase user performance on a daily basis, don’t really concern the ISD.
- Controlling the total cost of the tools used in the company, taking integration tests into account, continuous improvements and the importance of the fact that the ISD negotiates with suppliers, as it is used to doing this.
- Have highly qualified technical skills on a variety of technological topics.
With Bocasay and Maltem Consulting Group, find the technological skills you need!
Become the ambassador of IT applications in your company. Are you looking for expert business skills to support your users? Maltem Consulting Group has consultants in various sectors:
- Business (media, retail, e-commerce, distribution, energy etc.),
- Big data,
- Digital transformation,
- Blockchain solutions
Bocasay, an expert in IT outsourcing, offers you a wide range of full stack, front/back-end, mobile, e-commerce, software developer profiles: Symfony, Java, Python, Angular, ReactJS etc.. Get in touch with us and bring in a unique vision with your ISD stakes
Source : ebg.net (digital-marketing-2018)
WHAT WAS VALID YESTERDAY, IS STILL VALID TODAY. IN ORDER FOR THE ISD TO PROGRESS WELL, THE LATTER NEEDS TO HAVE PROFILES IN ITS TEAM, WHO HAVE SOUND KNOWLEDGE OF THE PROFESSION.